My Labor Story: Second Time Around

My Labor Story: Second Time Around

  • Labor was short
  • Had my second child in Israel
  • The midwives were supportive, calm and coordinated


Aiiieeeeeee! Were the screams that should have come out of my mouth at 5 am on a cold Monday November morning in Tel Aviv, but I didn't dare scream.

My 18 month old toddler was in bed with hubby and I and I didn't want to take the chance of waking him up because once he's up, it's a struggle to get him back to sleep.

So when the first contraction came, it was unexpected, sharp and woke me right up.


I knew it had to be the real contractions.

You see, for the past month and a half I had been getting Braxton Hicks contractions. The first time it happened I googled it to be sure if it was the real deal, though I kinda guessed it wasn't but to be sure I googled and it wasn't.

The difference if I remember correctly is Braxton Hicks are this uncomfortable feeling in your abdomen and they usually happen if your bladder is full, or you've just used the bathroom or you've been standing or sitting for too long. However, with real contractions, you feel a sharp surge or like a wave of a feeling similar to menstrual cramps. It's almost unbearable to endure. Also as time goes, the contractions start to get closer apart and last longer.

And that's what happened. After the first one, the next one didn't come till 30 minutes after and at that moment my husband woke up.

"Babe, I'm not sure but i think, i think o i'm having real contractions.' I whispered between clenched teeth.

He asked me what he could do, I told him to give me 20 to 30 minutes if another one came then we had to get ready to go to the hospital.

Very soon after the second one the third one came. We jumped out of bed, got ready and were in Ichilov Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv in 15 minutes.

Luckily I had had a doctor's appointment a couple of days back so i had an up to date medical report with current blood test results and Ultrasound result, i gathered them all up in a file, placed it in my already packed hospital bag and took off.

Within 10 minutes of arriving, a doctor checked me "you're 5 to 6 cm dilated"

"what? so I still have a long way to go?" at my last delivery i was already fully dilated and was hoping it'll be the same this time.
"not really. You could progress real quick." she reassured me

Then a nurse rushed me into a wheel chair and we sped off to the labor ward on the third floor. By this time the contractions were coming in every minute and i could barely get out of my wheel chair when we arrived at my labor room.

Of course the midwives, unlike the ones I've come across in Nigeria, were kind and patient, gently guiding me out of the wheel chair, unto the bed. They took off my clothes and put hospital clothes on me and a belt, to monitor the baby's heart beat was placed around my belly.

They asked me if I wanted an epidural, I looked at my husband, and we had decided i wouldn't get one, because i wouldn't need one. In my head i didn't get one the first time because i believed through my prayers and fasting God would have mercy on me and make labor a breeze. And it was. So for this one my husband knew I was planning on not getting one and was very encouraging.

And before you say it's because of the money, it's not o! lol! At the hospital i delivered in Israel, regardless of if you use epidural or do a natural birth or if you deliver vaginally or have to do a c-section, the price is the same. Around 13,000 shekels.

While all this was going on my contractions were barely a minute apart and were more intense and longer. I had a midwife and a doctor attached to me. The doctor checked me then announced I was fully dilated and to push when the next contraction came along.

As soon as she said it I already felt the familiar feeling of intense surges rushing through, starting from my back and approaching my abdomen, I could barely talk but just managed a nod and she quickly got in front of me, with the midwife to my side and encouraged me to push. I pushed and pushed but nothing. I asked them if they could see the head but they said not yet. Which was a bit disappointing because i remember with my first child at the first push, everyone was already screaming they could see the head. My cousin even mentioned that he had a full head of hair!

A mere 10 minutes later, after about four more contractions and four times of trying to push, all my strength and courage was going, fear was settling in and i was really starting to worry but then trust the Naija in me, prayer warrior mode kicked in and I started praying silently asking God to remember his promise to me. His promise of good and not evil. To give me hope and a future. I asked for His mercy upon my life and my household.

Then another contraction came in and I pushed and pushed then i felt her head come through and my darling, perfect baby girl was born.

In all of this I praise God. Some people will pray tire, go for deliverance so God will give them a short and swift birthing experience but for where? and then here I am giving birth with no problem. Not that they are better than me, but it's just God. He taketh and giveth. He rewards and punishes. In everything that happens I will forever sing His praises.

What I can say is, to experience a painless and short child birth here are some of the things I did.
1. Scripture reading. I read a lot of scriptures pertaining to birthing, to life, to God's inheritance for those who believe.
2. I practiced a lot of J breathing exercises
3. I did Kegel exercises
4. I tried to keep a positive mind, tried reading only positive news, watched only comedies or romance movies. this is key. it is not easy to avoid negative news especially if you're scrolling through your Facebook timeline and it's right there in your face but most times i kept my curiosity in check and scrolled right through news i knew might cut my chest.
5. Prayer is the key. pray. pray. pray. When in doubt pray. when you're happy pray.
6. i loved repeating scriptural affirmations through out the day. The ones constant on my lips were I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME, I AM SAVED IN CHILD BIRTHING (1 TIM 2:15). Also every morning when i woke up, I would welcome Holy Spirit to join me on the day of delivery and to be my midwife.
7. Constantly reject fear. Reject the spirit of fear from you. I would often tell myself I BIND THE SPIRIT OF FEAR. I REJECT THE SPIRIT OF FEAR.

There were many other things i practiced throughout my pregnancy especially in the days leading up until delivery day. But these are my top 7.

Comments